Cold weather can cause some issues with your gate operators. These are some potential problems and solutions that might save you an invoice from your friendly gate repair man.
- Slower to open
- Consistently only opens after multiple attempts
- Movement is choppy or sporadic
- Squeaking or other new sounds
- Stays open, won’t close
Tips to remedy:
- Make sure your hinges, rollers and bearing surfaces are well greased.
- Disconnect cables from the battery. Clean corrosion, dirt, other debris from the ends of the cables as well as battery terminals.
- Check that your photo eye (and possible receiver) are free of obstruction. Remove leaves, snow, sleet, etc. We apply RainX https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-800002250-Glass-Treatment-Trigger/dp/B000BVRZ74 to help shed the water.
- If it still not working, it is likely time to check the battery. We like using Batteries Plus – https://www.batteriesplus.com/
- If you don’t have a photo eye, it is a required UL-325 safeguard against entrapment that we put on all new gate operators that we install (and recommend adding if we are asked to repair operators we have not installed).
- If your battery is over 2 years old, it is likely time for a new one.